Buff Orpington Chickens are good meat producers and egg layers. originated in Orpington, Kent, United Kingdom. Orpington Chickens are designed to be sustaining bitter winters of the United Kingdom and still laying at an unstoppable rate. The Buff Orpington chickens are a heavy, broad body with a low stance, fluffed out feathers. Being docile and silent(compared to other chickens) in nature makes this breed Chicken keepers favorite.
Characteristics of Buff Orpington Chicken
- The Buff Orpington is a heavy, broad body with a low stance, fluffed out feathers and a curvy, short back.
- The Buff Orpington chicken’s life expectancy is 6 years.
- The Orpington chicken is well feathered with broad, smooth feathers.Advertisement
- The beak also is a pinkish white.
- Eyes are reddish bay color; wattles, comb, and earlobes should be red.
- The single comb should have five points.
- The Buff Orpington chicken comes in white, blue, black and buff colors. But Buff being most favorite color.
- The Buff Orpington rooster can weigh around 3.60 to 4.55 kg.
- The Buff Orpington chicken can weigh around 2.70 to 3.60 kg.
- Buff Orpington lay around 200–280 per year.
- Expect 3 to 5 eggs from Buff Orpington per week.
- Buff Orpington eggs are large light brown in color.
- Buff Orpington chickens are good mothers, they love to brood on a nest full of eggs.
- Orpington chickens are the perfect pet for young children, as they are more friendly.Advertisement
- Orpington chickens are the very quiet bird, ideally suited for people who stay close to neighbors.
- Buffs are more docile chickens.
- Buff Orpingtons can easily adapt to the low temperature due to their thick feathers. They tolerate warmer climates but need to have access to shade during the heat of the day.
- Because Buff Orpingtons feathers are so dense they should be checked regularly for lice and mites and treated accordingly. Many folks treat them with poultry dust regularly because it’s hard to spot little creepy crawlies amongst all those feathers.
- As Buff Orpingtons are such large birds, they have a tendency towards laziness and they should be allowed to exercise as much as is possible.
Brief characteristics of Buff Orpington Chicken
|Other Name||Buff, Blue, black and white Orpington|
|Country/Place of Origin||United Kingdom|
|Breed Purpose||Dual (meat and eggs)|
|3.60 to 4.55 kg|
|Hen(Female)||2.70 to 3.60 kg|
|Eggs||200–280 per year|
|Climate Tolerance||All Climates|
Steps are already been taken to BAN prepping... especially stockpiling food right here in America.
Hello, I am Siddartha Reddy . A fulltime farmer and blogger who love to share all his farming experiences. Also, a strong supporter of sustainable farming practices. Thanks for visiting our site, let’s make this world a better place to live. Say No to Chemicals and plastics.