Kadaknath chicken is the only black meat chicken breed of India. The bird is very popular due to its adaptability to the environment, disease resistance, tasty black meat, texture, and flavor. Its flesh, bones, and nerves appear black; it’s considered not only for the delicacy of distinctive taste but also for good medicinal value.
Kadaknath chicken is an important indigenous breed of poultry inhabiting vast areas of Western Madhya Pradesh mainly the Jhabua and Dhar Districts and adjoining areas of Gujarat and Rajasthan. But because of indiscriminate crossbreeding with other breeds, the pure Kadaknath birds are very rarely, available in Dhar and adjoining areas of Gujarat and Rajasthan. At present, the Kadaknath birds are mainly available in Jhabua District of Western Madhya Pradesh. The Jhabua District is situated in the Western part of the Madhya Pradesh.
Three different breeds of Black Meat Chicken (BMC) is spread across the globe. They are :
- Kadaknath – Native: Madhya Pradesh, India.
- Silkie – Native: China.
- Ayyam cemani – Native: Indonesia
Kadaknath poultry breed has evolved through natural selection in indigenous agro-ecological conditions and is well adapted to the local environment. The Kadaknath birds reveal the appreciable degree of resistance to diseases compared with other exotic breeds of fowl in its natural habitat in the free-range.
Kadaknath birds are also resistant to extreme climatic conditions like the summer heat and cold winter stress and can thrive very well under adverse environments like poor housing, poor management, and poor feeding. For a long time, Kadaknath breed of poultry was reared by tribals(Bhils, Bhillalas, and others) and therefore through many generations of selection and fixation of genes, some of the important breed characteristics had been established. There are three main varieties of Kadaknath breed, which are found in Jhabua District.
Kadaknath chickens are Jet black, Pencilled and Golden Kadaknath.
- The Jet black adult males and females are black in color,
- the Golden adult male and females were basically black in color with Golden feathers on head and neck,
- whereas in Pencilled variety adult male and female plumage was black with white feathers on the neck.
In all the three varieties, skin, beak, shanks, toes, and soles of males as well as females were dark gray-colored, whereas the tongue was the dark gray or light black color. Comb, Wattles and earlobes were light gray to dark gray colored. However, in the comb, Wattles and earlobes purple hue colored were also observed.
The Kadaknath is highly disease resistant and a hardy bird. Unlike broiler chicken, it can survive and even thrive on kitchen waste. It is also a semi-scavenger and an ideal ally for farmers who are looking to supplement their income. In fact, we have received many queries from areas about Kadaknath such as Marathwada and NagpurS Ganesan, director-in-charge of the Central Poultry Development
In all the three varieties of Kadaknath breed, most of the internal organs exhibit intense black coloration which is due to the deposition of melanin pigment in the connective tissue of organs and in the dermis (Rao and Thomas 1984). Kadaknath breed is poor in egg production potential, but their black flesh is very delicious and popular. Its flesh is of higher value and is being used for the treatment of many diseases in human beings by tribals / Adivasis living in Jhabua District of Madhya Pradesh. However, this needs a proper scientific evaluation.
In the whole of the region, Kadaknath birds are in great demand and are very costly. The meat and eggs are also reckoned to be a rich source of protein (Rao and Thomas 1984).
|S.No||Properties||Kadaknath||Other Breed Chickens|
What is the use of Kadaknath chicken?
Kadaknath has special medicinal value in homeopathy and a particular nervous disorder.
The tribal uses Kadaknath blood in the treatment of chronic disease in human beings and its meat as an aphrodisiac (Believed to infuse vigor in Make).
Experts say that Viagra or Sildenafil Citrate is basically a vasodilator designed for increasing blood flow to the heart and the melanin pigment in Kadaknath does the same.
Kadaknath chicken has peculiar effectiveness in treating women’s diseases – sterility, abnormal menstruation, habitual abortion.
The eggs are also an ideal nutritive, especially for old people and high blood pressure victims, since the cholesterol content is lower Rich in amino acids and higher than that of other kinds of birds.
The eggs of Kadaknath chickens can be used effectively to treat severe headaches, headaches after giving birth, faintness, asthma, and nephritis (acute or chronic inflammation of the kidney).
The birds currently go for Rs 2,000 to Rs 2,500 a piece and you will have to shell out Rs 50 per egg. The chicken’s black meat is priced between Rs 700- Rs 1,000 per kilogram.
Nutritional facts about Kadaknath Chicken
Kadaknath Chicken, as mentioned earlier offers abundantly rich levels of nutrition to humans. Many nutrients are found in it are not found in other breeds of Chicken. Let us have a detailed look at the nutritional value addition that this chicken offers to people who eat them.
- Out of the 18 types of Amino Acids that this amazing food offer offers, 8 are essential for balancing hormonal fluctuations in humans.
- It offers around 5% extra levels of Protein than other types of Chicken to humans who consume them
- It is rich in many Vitamins like Vitamin E, C, B12, B6, B2, and B1. This makes it a Vitamin abundant food item suitable for consumption by people of all ages.
- They are very high in Iron content which is one of the key nutrients required for leading a healthy life
- It has very low cholesterol content than the normal White Chicken or other Chicken types. This makes it a safe option for consumption by people belonging to different age groups
Medicinal properties of Kadaknath Chicken
Kadaknath Chicken which is completely dark black in color usually adds immense value to mankind through the medicinal properties present in the same. Here are some of the amazing health benefits of it
- The field of Homeopathy finds amazing medicinal value in Kadaknath Chicken. It is recommended for curing many ailments related to the abdomen and digestive tracts.
- The blood of it is used as a natural medicine for treating many types of chronic diseases that humans suffer from.
- Its meat is highly useful to infuse strength and vigor in men to lead a happy sexual life.
- Kadaknath Chicken meat streamlines blood flow to the heart safeguarding humans from getting affected by heart-related diseases.
- It enhances the fertility levels of women to a great extent.
- Another major contribution of Kadaknath Chicken to women’s health is its ability to solve menstruation-related issues in them when consumed in a regular manner.
- Women who suffer from frequent abortions can benefit from it since it possesses the medicinal quality to control the same.
- Eggs laid by this chicken contain little or no cholesterol which aids in managing high blood pressure, particularly in aged people.
- Kadaknath Chicken eggs are highly effective in the treatment of different types of Headaches like post child delivery and regular chronic ones.
- People suffering from acute Asthma can get rid of the same if they add it to their food every day
- Acute and chronic inflammation can also be cured when it is eaten regularly by people belonging to varying age groups. People who are suffering from Kidney related inflammation can benefit the maximum by eating it regularly.
- The antioxidant properties that Kadaknath Chicken makes it a good source for the protection of eyesight for a long duration of time. It prevents people from getting affected by Macular Degeneration which is one of the main degenerative eye diseases that is spread around the globe.
- The high levels of Vitamin and Phosphorous content present in Kadaknath Chicken boost body metabolism to a great extent providing sustained energy levels at all points of time
- The presence of adequate levels of Iron in it makes it absolutely suitable for maintaining high levels of Hemoglobin content in the human body. This safeguards mankind from getting affected by Anemia that causes fatigue.
- The rich levels of Calcium found in it make it bone-friendly safeguarding bones from losing its density. it protects bones from various kinds of diseases that affect the same
- Owing to the high levels of nutrients present in the Kadaknath Chicken, people get rid of chronic dizziness that they face for various reasons.
- Both the meat and eggs are a rich source of protein (25.47% in flesh) and iron.
- Its meat is used for curing of pulmonary problems like tuberculosis, and heart diseases and neurasthenia.
- The meat contains vitamins B1, B2, B6, B12, C and E, niacin, protein, fat, calcium, phosphorus, iron, and nicotinic acid.
- Its consumption helps increase red blood cells and hemoglobin.
- The eggs are used to treat headaches, post-delivery problems, asthma, and nephritis.
It is high in many essential nutrients that enrich the human body in multiple ways. The adequate levels of amino acids and other nutrients found in it provide the required nutrition to people of all ages. Consuming this chicken regularly strengthens the immunity system safeguarding human health from many ailments.
Kadaknath poultry breed facts
|Weight of Day Old Chick||28-30 Grams|
|Price for DOC commercial / Parent Stock||Rs. 18-20|
|Bodyweight in 8 weeks K.G.||0.8 K.g|
|The period required to attain 1 k.g. body weight||14 Weeks|
|The period required to attain 1.5 to 2 Kg Bodyweight||Like Deshi|
|The total weight (male) K.G.||2.2.-2.5|
|The total weight (female) K.G.||1.5 – 1.8|
|Quality of Meat||Black like pure Deshi|
|Meat percentage without skin (dressed)||65 %|
|Useful for, Commercial / Backyard poultry farming||Backyard Poultry Farming|
|Age for first egg-laying||24 weeks|
|Egg production per month||11-13|
|Annual egg production||120|
|Average egg weight||45 G.M.|
|Feed required||50 K.G.|
Why is Kadaknath egg costlier?
A white leghorn hen is selectively bred to lay 320– 330 eggs out of 365 days in a year, whereas Kadaknath hen lays around 120 -130 eggs in a year taking the same amount of feed as that of a white leghorn hen. So it’s obvious that the price has to be 3 times higher as that of a white egg.
Why is Kadaknath chicken costlier?
A broiler chicken gains 2.5 kg of body weight in 40 -45 days. It almost inflates like a balloon day-by-day. Its gene has been selected so that its only work is to eat and get obese. Even if you don’t kill a broiler chicken at 45 days of age it will die very soon due to obesity (under intensive rearing farm condition. Kadaknath being a Desi bird involves in a lot of physical activity and its weight gain is “slow and steady”
A Kadaknath male chicken attains a bodyweight of 1.5 kg in 120 -130 days. It takes nearly thrice the time to attain half the bodyweight of a broiler chicken. If you don’t kill it will live up to the age of 12 years reaching a maximum of around 2kg bodyweight only. So our cost of production is nearly four times higher than that of a broiler chicken.
That’s the reason that many giant breeders did not turn to Kadaknath even though it’s so useful to mankind, all corporate in the poultry field are concerned about quick profit only.
Benefits of Kadaknath Chicken
- Kadaknath chicken meat is textured and flavored.
- This black meat has good medicinal values.
- Kadaknath chicken breeds are adaptable to any kind of environment.
- Kadaknath chicken meat and their eggs are sold for a high price in the market.
- This bird meat contains many kinds of amino acids and vitamins.
- This meat helps to increase blood cells and hemoglobin.
- Kadaknath chicken is said to aid in curing pulmonary problems.
- The Kadaknath birds convert feed quickly into the meat (feed conversion ratio is high).
- Kadaknath chicken eggs are used to treat headaches, post-delivery problems, asthma, and nephritis.
- Kadaknath chicken is said to be good for women’s health as well.
- The tribal community in MP uses Kadaknath chicken blood in the treatment of chronic disease.
- The Kadaknath chicken eggs also have good nutrition values and good for old people.
- Kadaknath black meat contains vitamins B1, B2, B6, B12, C and E, niacin, protein, fat, calcium, phosphorus, iron, and nicotinic acid
- The Kadaknath breed is hardy and highly resistant to diseases.
- Unlike broiler chicken, these can survive even on kitchen waste.
- The best advantage is, these birds meat has more protein, less fat, and low cholesterol when compared to similar kinds of poultry breeds.
- Kadaknath chicken weighs about 1.5 Kg after growing 6 to 7 months.
- Kadaknath is one of the rarest birds available in the world.
- Commercial-scale farming of Kadaknath chicken defiantly fetches good profits if proper marketing channel is established.
- Some state governments like Madhya Pradesh, have an incentive scheme for people who were interested in breeding the Kadaknath chicken.
About Kadaknath poultry: lrrd
Advantages of Growing Kadaknath Chicken: goatchi
Nutrition Value: kblivestockfarm
Steps are already been taken to BAN prepping... especially stockpiling food right here in America.CLICK BELOW to find out more.
Hello, I am Siddartha Reddy . A fulltime farmer and blogger who love to share all his farming experiences. Also, a strong supporter of sustainable farming practices. Thanks for visiting our site, let’s make this world a better place to live. Say No to Chemicals and plastics.