Plymouth Rock Chickens are dual-purpose chickens with good quality meat production and very good egg production of around 200-280 large brown eggs per year. Plymouth Rock chickens are the first priority for any Homesteader is because they are docile, adapt to any weather conditions and get along well with other chickens. Most of the farmers consider them as best all-rounder chicken breed.
Plymouth Chickens became popular on American soil during the second world war for their meat and egg production ability. It can be called one of the oldest breeds too. Considered as the main source of meat for the soldiers during the second world war, but later once the war finished the numbers started to fall. Eventually, some hybrid chicken breeds started to outperform in meat and egg production, so the interest in breeding Plymouth chicken started to fall low.
Plymouth Rock Chicken Characteristics
- Generally, the oldest and best-known variety in the Plymouth Rock family is the Barred Plymouth rock. Several different varieties came later which came out from Barred Plymouth like Buff, White, Patridge, Silver Penciled, Blue and Columbian.
- Plymouth Rock chicken’s weight of male chicken is 9.5 Pounds, the weight of hen is 7.5 Pounds and Cockerel is 8 Pounds, Pullet is 6 Pounds.
- Egg production is year-round which produces around 200-280 large brown eggs per year.
- They are winter hardy birds, they continue to lay eggs even in winter months.
- The life span of these chickens is around 6 to 8 years. If they have taken care of exceptionally, the numbers might increase.
- The Barred Plymouth Rock have equal black and white barring with feather ending in a dark tip.
- Are heavy breed with a large, full breast.
- Feathers are full, loose and soft.
- The yellow skin and legs make them look even pretty.
- The color of ear lobes, comb and wattles are red.
Plymouth Rock Chicken Temperament
Plymouth chickens are famous for their docile nature. They very well get along with other animals or chickens.
They make perfect family pets, as they get along with Children. They love to hang around with Children.
They loved to be picked
Get adjusted to confined areas and also in the free-range. Make a perfect backyard chicken, as they are not too noisy.
It can be easily bred by any first-time owners, as they are easily tameable.
They love to brood and make chicks, can be seen as having strong maternal instincts.
Benefits of Plymouth Rock Chicken
- Always active, never a dull kind of breed. It uplifts the mood just by seeing them. They will be doing one or other thing in the Homestead. They love to forage for food. Active foraging breed, love to eat worms. Some of the chickens are always broody, which makes the whole farm to run at a slow pace. But unlike Plymouths keep enjoying with their flock.
- Very good layers, providing eggs all year round. Their large brown eggs are so nutritious and are liked by all egg lovers. Even during winters, they never stop laying. The consistency in laying eggs makes this breed loved by everyone.
- Meat is well accepted and even considered as best meat on the table. They have a good weight which can be considered as a good amount of meat for a family of 4. Around 3 Kg of meat is available from each bird.
- Most Adaptable to any weather and any place. They are good with confined location and also as free-range. They love the place they are in, coops no problem, free-range no problem. They are hardy in cold temperatures. Their feathers and huge body keeps them good against cold. No need to worry about the Plymouths getting sick.
- Very friendly with humans, children and even with other animals. They love each other company, quite good with children.
Plymouth Rock Chicken History
In 1949 the Plymouth Rock chicken was first recorded in Massachusetts. But the origin is in Plymouth. Plymouth Rock chickens became popular and also household chicken in the 1900s.
Americans loved their egg-laying ability and meat-producing capacity. Its believed that after world war 2, the count of Plymouth chickens reduced drastically. Due to the introduction of factory farming and much better hybrid breeds, the native chickens were discarded. But there is also a belief that present broiler chicken is from the cross of the Plymouth Rock.
Focus on pure breeding is on high priority to some of the breeders in America. Bringing the authentic breed back is highly appreciated by local breeders and animal enthusiasts.
Brief characteristics of Plymouth Rock Chicken
|Breed Name||Plymouth Rock Chicken|
|Other Name||Barred, Buff, White, Patridge, Silver Penciled, Blue and Columbian|
|Country/Place of Origin||USA|
|Breed Purpose||Dual-purpose (Eggs and Meat)|
|Disposition||Docile, Friendly with humans, strong maternal instincts|
|Climate Tolerance||Good, hardy in both heat and cold.|
Hello, I am Siddartha Reddy . A fulltime farmer and blogger who love to share all his farming experiences. Also, a strong supporter of sustainable farming practices. Thanks for visiting our site, let’s make this world a better place to live. Say No to Chemicals and plastics.