Rove goat is a hardy and robust breed from ‘Le Rove’ in France. Rover goat breed was on the verge of extinction in 1970 due to less consumption of Rover goat meat. But later a French animal group named ‘Association De Defense Des Carprins Du Rove‘ encourage farmers to breed Rove goat as a dairy goat. Now Rove goat is not used as a meat goat. Long back their leather had huge value, but now it’s not allowed.
Rove goats can clear out inaccessible areas around various reserves or landscapes to counteract fires that these areas are prone to. So today the Rove goat is still only used for milk and fire control, but their numbers have increased to over 6000 heads on some French farms
Physical characteristics of the Rove goat
- Rove goat has long, thick lyre-shaped horns that can reach up to 4 foot in length
- Rove goats are large antelope types of goats.
- Long tubular/hard pendulous ears held out front facing from their heads.
- The ears are usually a light version of their coat color.
- Rove goat hairs are short, thick and glossy.
- Rove goat color of coats are often black, red, grey, mottled grey/white, red speckled white or black with tan markings
- The Rove goat weight of an adult Bucks and Does are 90 kg and 60 kg respectively.
- Rove goat breed height at the stage of the adult varies from 74 cm to 81 cm at withers.
- The age at Breeding age in male and female are 1 year and 18 months respectively. Advertisement
Production characteristics of the Rove goat
The growth rate, milk yield, milk composition and reproductive(kidding) efficiency of Rove goats are high.
1. Growth rate
- The Rove goat weight of an adult Buck and Doe is 90 kg and 60 kg respectively
2. Milk yield
- The milk yield ranges from 2.0 to 2.5 liters a day with an average of 500 to 600 liters in a lactation period of 280 days.
- The Rove goat milk is richer, creamier, and a lot sweeter.
3. Reproductive efficiency(kidding)
- Kids are around 1 to 4.
- The gestation period is usually around 148 to 155 days.
- The age at Breeding age in male and female are 1 year and 18 months respectively.
Advantages of Rove Goat
- Used to clear the inaccessible landscapes to protect from forest fires.
- Brousse du Rove is a fresh, unsalted cheese made from Rove Goat milk.
- Rove goat cheese shelf life is only for 8 days, so mostly sold on farms only which will not travel far.
- They are very agile and able to get into places that are basically inaccessible to most creatures.
- Higher milk yields around 2.0 to 2.5 liters a day.
- Rover goats are hardy and robust breed
Brief characteristics of Rove goat
|Breed Name||Rove goat|
|Other Name||Chevre du Rove|
|Country/Place of Origin||France|
|Breed Purpose||Dairy breed|
|Kidding||single and twins are common|
|Milk Yield||2.0 to 2.5 liters a day|
|Good for Stall Fed||No|
|Climate Tolerance||All Climates|
Steps are already been taken to BAN prepping... especially stockpiling food right here in America.CLICK BELOW to find out more.
Hello, I am Siddartha Reddy . A fulltime farmer and blogger who love to share all his farming experiences. Also, a strong supporter of sustainable farming practices. Thanks for visiting our site, let’s make this world a better place to live. Say No to Chemicals and plastics.