The Slate or Blue Slate Turkey is named for its color, which has ashy blue plumage. Some early texts indicate that the Slate turkeys are originated from a cross of the Black turkey on a white turkey.
The Blue Slate turkeys are a rare and old variety of domestic heritage breed turkeys. The three different colors the slate comes are :
- Blue – Their plumage is grayish blue with no black spots.
- Black – Complete black plumage.
- Splash – plumage is ashy blue with black spots scattered over the body.
One theory is that farmers bred for a specific color in order to distinguish their flocks from neighbors’ flocks.
According to cacklehatchery Slate Turkey Reproduction traits
The Blue slate turkeys on our farms produce three color patterns (blue splash, blue and black). The color pattern of the slate turkey breed is fascinating to figure with on a breeding level. Briefly, a splash slate bred to a different splash slate can produce all splash slates (ash blue color with some little black dots), breeding the blue slate to blue slate can produce all 3 color patterns, blue slate splash, blue and black offspring.The blue to black usually produces offspring of blues and blacks with no splash slates. Black to black can produce usually all blacks.
American Poultry Association accepted the Slate turkey in 1874. Slates are in watch list of American Livestock Breeds Conservancy.
Slate Turkey Characteristics
The main purpose of Slate Turkey is Egg laying and Meat production. Sometimes as a show pet.
The head, throat, and wattles are red to blue-black white.
The beak is intruded into color; the eyes are brown; and also the beard is black.
The shanks and toes are pink.
Their temperament is very active and an excellent forager requires less attention.
Blue slate turkeys can be fed fruits and vegetables.
Egg size is from large to extra large. Egg production as all turkeys do, it’s low.
The color of eggs is less white with brown specks on them.
The fertility percentage is around 60 % to 75%.
Blue slate turkeys are medium-sized turkeys.
The weight for a Slate Turkey’s young tom is 23 pounds and 14 pounds for a young hen. The older Tom weighs around 33 pounds and Hen around 18 pounds.
Slate Turkey is very resistant to diseases.
The superior flavor of meat has captured the market.
The lifespan of Slate is around 5 to 9 years
Caring Slate Turkey
Slate Turkeys are active foragers, they require a lot of room to roam. No extra care is required in their diet. They can even feed on fruits and vegetables. The majority of their time is spent searching for food on the farm.
Always keep feeding and drinking areas to be clean, in order to avoid illness.
Provide a better shelter to keep them safe from predators. They are pretty hardy animals, a good fenced farm with adequate space to roam is enough.
Regular health checkups are necessary, should not be left unchecked.
Slate Turkey Benefits
- The Blue Slate turkey could be a widespread alternative for exhibition functions because of their color.
- The interest in Slate breed has increased in the recent years, it’s because of their delicious flavor and longevity.
- Breeders also preferring due to their live long productive lives.
- Blue Slate Turkey is slower to mature than other breeds, this allows them to gain muscle mass, this allows to produce more meat in less than 28 weeks.
Brief characteristics of Slate Turkey
|Breed Name||Slate Turkey|
|Other Name||Blue Slate turkey, Lavender turkey|
|Country/Place of Origin||USA|
|Breed Purpose||Meat and show purpose|
|Breed Size||Medium to Large|
|Climate Tolerance||All Climates|
Frequently asked questions
Can Blue Slate turkeys breed naturally?
Blue Slate turkeys reproduce naturally and also do go broody. They have the capacity to mate naturally and generate offsprings. The Blue Slate turkeys breed is one of the heritage turkey breeds. There are particular standards to qualify as a heritage turkey.
- Normally breeding: the heritage turkey must duplicate with all-natural breeding, not artificial insemination.
- Lengthy efficient outside life expectancy: the heritage turkey must have a long efficient lifespan. Breeding chickens are frequently effective for 5-7 years as well as breeding toms for 3-5 years. The heritage turkey needs to likewise be hardy adequate to hold up against the environmental roughness of exterior manufacturing systems.
- Slow growth price: the heritage turkey will certainly have a slow-moving to moderate rate of growth. Today’s heritage turkeys get to a valuable weight in concerning 28 weeks, providing the birds time to develop a solid skeletal framework as well as healthy and balanced organs before constructing muscular tissue mass, as well as we strongly think, a far better taste. Some heritage turkey types will certainly be little birds, also after 28 weeks.
How big do blue slate turkeys get?
Youthful toms will average 23 lbs, and also young chickens will certainly balance 14 pounds. Blue Slate turkeys’ meat is flavorful, company, as well as moist.
Are Blue Slate turkeys good eating?
Feeding blue slate turkeys is simple since assuming they are given room to wander outdoors, they’ll be foraging for plants as well as pests. Blue Slate turkeys are proficient at consuming.
Owners require only supplement this scavenging with turkey feed. In addition to turkey feed that can be purchased online or in local feed shops, blue slate turkeys can be fed vegetables and fruits. Feeding and drinking locations must be maintained tidy to avoid disease.
Can Blue slate turkeys fly?
The Blue slate turkey can run and fly, and also they can reproduce normally– points that contemporary turkeys can not do. They are much lovelier than the broad-breasted white turkeys that are elevated by the millions on agriculture. They will certainly roost high to keep away from killers.
Hello, I am Siddartha Reddy . A fulltime farmer and blogger who love to share all his farming experiences. Also, a strong supporter of sustainable farming practices. Thanks for visiting our site, let’s make this world a better place to live. Say No to Chemicals and plastics.